I finished the Octopus painting! It is 11″x17″ acrylic ink on bristol and I finished it while at my table at Smallville Comicon!

2016 – Acrylic ink on cardboard




Harley Quinn Progress

If you happen to follow me on Instagram, you’ll see that I like to post a lot of progress shots for whatever I’m working on. I recommend you follow me. I have duped many a people into thinking I’m cool.

In a big push to get prints done in time for Planet Comicon, I ended up with a Harley Quinn that I was pretty happy with. Today, I am featuring it as my work in progress.


As always, I start with pencils. Nothing fancy. These are just mechanical pencils from the Dollar Tree.

The paper I’m using are actually cardboard backs from reams of paper. My friend works at a warehouse that ships out musical equipment and they go through a ton of reams of paper printing out shipping labels and whatnot. There is always a cardboard back in these reams and she thought it was wasteful to throw them away. Her solution? Save them for her artist friend to draw on!

She has now got every shift at this warehouse saving them for me. The result? I have BOXES of these things. I have a special place in my closet dedicated to these cardboard sheets.

I figured I might as well use them.


Pencil is complete!


Starting with the inks! I do almost everything with watercolor brushes. The sizes vary, but the really fine point ones like the one shown are my favorite.


Here’s how it looked when I was done inking!


Here it is colored. I was really trying to get these done in time to get them scanned and sent them off to the printer. I was pretty much working until the very last minute to get these done, or I would have taken progress shots of my coloring process. Oh well.

I still have prints, if anyone is interested. Please feel free to email. I am also working on getting a store up and running very soon.

In the meantime, here’s the scanned version:


Panty Vigilante Chapter 2 Cover Progress, As Chronicled On Instagram.

I’ve been meaning to make tutorials for my artwork for as long as I’ve been posting my stuff online. So for approximately 15 years, I’ve been meaning to get around to it. It’s not because of laziness or just not knowing what to make for any given tutorial. I have ideas. I always have ideas. I just get so into what I’m doing, I forget until I’m about midway through any given artwork that I had meant to use that piece to help enlighten others.
Thankfully smart phones and wi-fi are a thing now, making posting progress shots online super convenient. If you happen to be on Instagram, my username is erica_supreme and you can catch these pretty much real time. Otherwise, I’ll post my progress shots here and try and talk my way through them the best I can.

So this is the cover art for chapter 2 of Panty Vigilante. For those unaware, it is my webcomic which I collect and turn into printed comics as soon as a chapter is done. You can check out the comic here.

Anyway, I do all of my comic stuff at 11″x17″. I recommend anyone in comics work in this size if you aren’t already. It makes things a lot easier on you when you shrink it down for print later on.

All of my comic work is also done on bristol. It’s a little bit heavier and more durable.

So here I am about midway through the pencils. I work a lot with gestures, which you can’t really see here. I’ll try to post some in the future. I just wanted both figures to flow and compliment each other.


It’s really easy to fall into the trap of super elongated bodies. I had to erase a lot. For Addey (the upside down character), I drew her right side up, then flipped it for Kate. I also kept drawing Kate’s legs really long at first.


Lotsa hair!

Now onto inking. I did this in two steps: with a fountain pen to get the initial lines down, along with fine details, and then I went over with a brush for line variation and “flow”. The hair was mostly inked with a brush.

I use acrylic inks for my inking and painting. The brand I use is Liquitex, but there are a lot of good brands out there.

When I go to color, I always start with a base color. Usually if I decide on one in the beginning, it serves as a good point of reference for all of my other colors. For this painting, I started with a blue wash. At this point, I’m using mostly water. I’ll build on it later.

Also I had to take a lot of breaks to let this dry so I don’t warp the paper too much.


Here, I’ve started layering on color. I used a lot of blues and a magenta to bring in pink and purple tones. It breaks up the monotony and makes the blues look nicer.

I use a lot of vertical strokes, finished with paint splatters for texture.

Also once the background was mostly done, I used masking tape to keep the paper from curling.

I usually use a masking liquid on my paintings, but for whatever reason skipped that step here. I ended up having to work around that later on.

The problem I ran into from not masking out the characters was that the ink is still pretty transparent and the wash was too dark. I ended up mixing in a little bit of white gouache to help with opacity.

Hair is done and I’m moving onto clothes!

Decided they were looking a little pale. I used some really watered down magenta to add a touch of blush to their skin. Also got more of their clothes done.

Starting to add in highlights.

Bumped up the highlights more! At this point on Instagram I considered it finished, but I ended up painting over the highlights on her skirt to tone it down (I overdid it) and added a white outline.

This is the final product. It scanned in really blue, so it took a long time to correct in Photoshop. It probably wouldn’t have been as much of an issue if I had just masked the characters in the beginning. Ah well, live and learn.

I also brightened it using color dodge in choice places. Mostly the hair.